This blog supports animal welfare and backs a number of campaigns set up by various charities.
- Tightening pet ownership laws
- Educating people about the responsibilities of pet ownership
- Responsible pet ownership, including micro-chipping and neutering
- Making it mandatory for slaughter houses to have CCTV installed
- Ensuring ducks and other water birds have full-body access to water for bathing
- Improving the lives of dairy cows by introducing EU-wide legislation to protect their welfare
- The labelling of products based on method of production, giving the consumer information about how the animal was kept
- Improving the welfare of laying hens
- Encouraging vegetarian and vegan lifestyles
- Keeping the Hunting Act (which bans hunting with dogs)
- Replacing animal experiments with other methods wherever possible
- 'Cruelty-free cosmetics' such as those sold by The Body Shop. Full list of ethical companies here.
- Heavier sentences for those involved in animal cruelty and neglect
- Improving welfare standards in zoos and aquariums, including increasing tank/enclosure size and ensuring habitat needs are met.
We are against:
- Cruelty or neglect of any kind
- The breeding animals based on looks, which can result in severe health problems.
- Long distance live transport
- Testing on animals in the beauty and cleaning industries
- The UK's badger cull in summer 2013
- Wild animals in circuses
- The use of Chinese lanterns, which can be harmful or deadly to wildlife
- The hunting of animals for sport
- The hunting of animals for fur or ivory
For more information, see the RSPCA's list of campaigns.